Saturday, February 11, 2012

Surabaya Airport Hotel

Juanda International Airport is located 20km South of Surabaya and is the second largest airport of Indonesia. The airport is well connected with international flights, so it might be used as a gateway to other regions in Indonesia. And when it comes to the question where to stay over night at the airport to catch the next flight tomorrow morning, travelers usually search the internet for hotels directly at the airport. And so did I. And I found "Hotel Tilamas", which should have been directly at the airport according to all online sources I found. However, "Hotel Tilamas" is NOT at the airport, you have to go by taxi for about 15 minutes to reach the hotel. And believe me, taxi drivers know how much money they can ask from wealthy foreign tourists for this short trip. Located these 15 minutes away from the airport, "Hotel Tilamas" is still the nearest place to stay. Nevertheless, from my point of view this hotel is a no-go. I stayed there only one night, so it might be unfair to degrade "Hotel Tilamas" as I do now. But the room I had was extremely dirty, urine inlusive in the shower. So, I can not help it.

Unfortunately, I cannot suggest an alternative so far. If you have an idea, please let me know. So far, you might check here for hotels in Surabaya. If you stood in an original Indonesian hotel and you had Nasi Goreng with lots of chilly for breakfast, and you need something sweet, then you can choose at Surabaya airport between Dunkin Donuts exactly between the international and the domestic area (Banana Croissant is a must), and Starbucks, already in the security zone. Both staff speaks English. If they ask you, if you want to have jelly in your coffee, you answer should be "NO". 
The ReisefĂĽhrer Indonesien offers some additonal travel informations and ideas for what to do in Indonesia, including a trip to Mount Bromo directly from Surabaya airport.

1 comment:

  1. singapore holiday You raise a lot of questions in my head; you wrote an excellent post, but this post is also mind provoking, and I will have to think about it a bit more; I will return soon.

    ReplyDelete